Tuesday, August 7, 2012

On to another adjustment


As if adjusting to a life with a 3 month old isn’t difficult enough, I’ve recently accepted a position a new company! I don’t know if you can feel my anxiety level rise, but it definitely has. I’m what people would call an organizer. I like things to be planned out. I like to lay out my work outfit the night before, prepare lunches the night before, and plan what we are having for dinner in the morning before I leave for work. If I don’t do these things (which happens frequently since having a baby), I feel like I’m creating more work for myself and always rushing around when I am home. Let’s just say-I like routine.

This new job will force me to change up my routine, be a little bit more flexible, and hopefully lighten up a bit. The hours are varied so 2 days a week I’ll work 8:30-5, 2 days I’ll work 12:30-9, and one day will be10:30-7. This means that I will have 2- ½ days during the week with Riley (and Luke will have time alone with her those nights), and one day a week, we will have a good chunk of the morning with each other. This consequently means less time she is in other people’s care, which really eases a lot of my stress about being a working momma. I’ll still be working full time, but I’ll have flexibility in my schedule.  I definitely think this will be a positive change. My parents worked alternate hours to avoid having me in daycare for my first years and I turned out just fine (hehe, some may argue otherwise). The most important thing I’ve learned with having a child is that life is too short to not do what makes you happy. This new schedule and this new job will make me happy, spending more time during the day with my peanut will make me happy, starting a “career” and not just a job will make me happy.

I can’t even begin to express what a difficult decision it was for Luke and I to decide whether or not I would pursue my Master’s degree 2 + years ago. He knew how much I really wanted to and, of course, supported me like good husbands do. Financially it didn’t seem like the BEST thing for us, but if I had unlimited funds, I think I’d be in school the rest of my life (and he knows that). I LOVE learning and growing and I would maybe get a degree in social work, or go to nursing school or PA school. But all-in-all I’m happy with my BA in Biology and my Masters in Health Care administration. My degrees will actually help me to succeed at my new employer (or at least I hope so). This is my first job post-college in which they’ve required a specific degree and have had to verify the completion of the degree prior to starting. For some reason this really makes me happy, because I was starting to think that my college education hadn’t been worth it. BUT IT HAS and I couldn’t be more excited!

. . .  Now to get my hubby a job he’s excited to go to on a daily basis.

So for now we have the remainder of this week left of the normalcy that we have already established. Then 8 days of training, and on to my NEW schedule. Wish us luck in this adjustment and let’s hope I’ve made the right decision!

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you with your new job Whit! I think you will love it :) and the best part is the flexi schedule so you can spent more time with baby girl :) so proud of you! xoxox

    ReplyDelete