Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Chili con veggies

Wanted to post another delic recipe for ya'll. Since I'm trying to load up on veggies and pregnancy superfoods, I thought I'd share this one with everyone.

Chilli is an all time favorite of Luke and mine, especially at this time of year. I decided to throw together my own version of a veggie chili that is super hearty (and satisfies my constant craving for red/tomato based sauces).



Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey (can use beef, sausage, or chicken depending on preference)
1 pint of diced tomatoes (I use tomatoes my lovely grandma canned fresh from her garden)
1 can Rotel with green chiles
1 can black beans (rinsed)
I can chili beans
1 can sweet yellow corn
1 bell pepper (diced)
1/2 package of baby carrots (diced
3 cups fresh spinach
2 T chili powder
1 T garlic salt
1 t salt
1 t pepper
1/2 C grandma Bartolo's salsa (see me for the most delicious salsa in the world)
1/2 C Ketchup
2 T hot sauce
1 t of cayenne pepper


Now the easy part:
1. Brown meat or cook accordingly (drain if necessary)
2. steam diced peppers, carrots, and spinach
3. Mix everything together!




I usually throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning, but didn't have the energy to do so this morning, so I heated to a boil on the stove, covered, and simmered for about 30 minutes (or until veggies are cooked through). Also, we like spicy in our house, so feel free to dumb down the spiciness by eliminating some of the hot stuff.

I also topped it off with a little dollop of low fat sour cream and some diced onion

No comments:

Post a Comment