Sunday, November 6, 2011

Saturday cooking sesh

I finally have energy! Like- energy and motivation to do things! In the mornings, my hubby and I have been waking up before work to do some yoga, and I usually find some sort of work out to do in the afternoon, whether its a run, a walk, prenatal yoga, or weight lifting, I've been actually wanting to work out. On the completely other end of the spectrum, I woke up early on Saturday (and today) and was yearning to go grocery shopping. I can't remember the last time I have actually done my grocery routine: clipping coupons, making a list, planning menus. I've just been too tired to do these things. So I did my routine, planned menus and came home with an urge to cook for lunches this week. I made meat and spinach lasagna (YUM!), home made chicken and veggie fried rice, and not one, but two whole wheat chocolate chip banana breads. I just have to share this recipe for the lasagna because it was so delicious. I don't like ricotta cheese so you'll see I substitute a mixture of sour cream, cream cheese, and cottage cheese.

Ingredients:

9 lasagna noodles
2 Johnsonville Hot sausages (or mild if you aren't as risky as us)
1/2 lb of ground turkey
1 bag or can of spinach (fresh spinach can be used as well
32 oz pasta sauce
1 pkg cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 container of cottage cheese
1 pkg mozzarella cheese
1 T olive oil


Directions:

Boil lasagna noodles according to package. Remove sausage from casing and place in a pan with olive oil and ground turkey mixture. Fry until brown, drain, and return to clean frying pan. Add pasta sauce, and drained spinach to the pan, and heat on low, stirring continuously. This is usually when I add in spices to taste: garlic salt, crushed red pepper, cayanne pepper, italian seasoning, and basil (all are optional, depending on how flavored your chosen sauce is).

In a separate bowl, add in softened cream cheese, sour cream, and cottage cheese and set aside.

In the baking dish, coat the bottom of the dish with sauce, then layer noodles, sauce mixture, and cheese mixture, topping each cheese layer with mozzarella cheese. After the top layer of noodles is added, top with a thin layer of sauce mixture, mozzarella cheese, and italian seasoning.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted and slightly golden brown.

This makes a ton! We each had a big serving on Saturday and made 6 additional servings for lunches. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment