Saturday, January 7, 2012

Creating a plan

Well, I am still trucking along strong. I am feeling energetic, working out about 5 times a week (and loving it) eating healthy, and dreading the time where I revert back to 1st trimester symptoms. We finished our registry at Target and Babies-R-Us and I feel like there is just SO much we need. My sister-in-law and her husband assured us that all we really need is the necessities and that every thing else will fall into place (especially since we have a good 4 months before we officially get to meet our baby. I am convinced that he is spot on, which eliminates a great deal of my anxiety. We also registered for prenatal classes through Amma Maternity. There are so many classes and so many options, but after communicating with those of our friends who have children and have been through this all, we landed on a package deal: Preparing for Childbirth, Breastfeeding, and Baby Care Basics. Preparing for Childbirth: This comprehensive class covers everything you need to know to prepare for childbirth, including: The final weeks of pregnancyThe birth process, including the different stages and phases of labor, Back labor, Labor support techniques, Basic breathing and relaxation for labor, Supportive technologies and induction, Cesarean birth, Postpartum recovery and the adjustment to parenthood Breastfeeding is pretty self-explanatory, and Baby Care Basics: Care procedures in the hospital Pediatric visits and immunizations, What to expect for appearance and behavior, Bathing, Diapering, Detecting illness and when to call the doctor, Umbilical cord care, Sleep safety, Soothing a fussy infant, and swaddling I'm really excited to learn these techniques and finally feel like I'm prepared and confident. So, I know- I know. I'm sure you all can NOT believe I still have yet to start on the nursery, but my husband is gone this weekend and I refuse to start all that man-labor by myself. I decided that while he's gone and I have already done laundry and cleaned the house, that I would come up with a detailed list of things we need to accomplish. *Paint the room (a light gray) *Paint a tree on the wall (Brown with pink and white flowers)
*Remove closet doors *Hang shelving in the closet *Sew curtain for closet *Sew curtain for window *Home-made baby mobile
*Find pictures, frames, and create a photo wall
*Create a READ corner
*And last but not least hang cabinets in our laundry area to create more storage. This is not directly related to the nursery but it will help get things organized in there. It seems like we have SO much to do, but once we get the walls painted, everything else will fall into place. I have to get my creative juices flowing. I also got my mom's sewing machine, and I have to figure out if I REALLY know how to sew well enough to make my own curtains, otherwise, my wonderful sis-in-law has offered to lend her helping hand (much appreciated). Another thing we HAVE to do in the near future is choose a pediatrician for our unborn baby. This never really even crossed my mind but at our first prenatal appointment they asked if we had a doctor selected for baby. I have no idea how to choose, or where to look. Any advice?

2 comments:

  1. My cousin Pete or his brother Paul. Both downtown St Paul :) I forget which hospital they are at, but I will let you know

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tell all of our patient's to ask others who have young children about Pediatricians. Going by word of mouth is generally the best way. If you happen to know any labor nurses or Peds nurses ask them. Hopefully they gave you a list to.choose from. Also ask any of the young nurses at your Dr office who they use. They may not come right out and tell you who to go to but there is obviously a reason why they take their children there. You also have to take into consideration vaccinations. Some offices won't accept patients that don't vaccinate their children.

    ReplyDelete