Sunday, January 15, 2012

Nursery progress

Welp- Its official. We started the nursery! I will wait patiently for the applause, or the gasps at the fact that it took us this long to even get started. Better late than never, though- right? We have some time. The nice thing about the whole decorating process is that Luke and I were on the same page in terms of the colors and style. Our first step was to head out to Home Depot to pick out paint colors. We ended up choosing a light gray color for the walls, a deep chocolate brown for the tree, dark and light pink flowers, and light green leaves.
We chose this picture as our motivation only minus the pink wall and $149 price tag for the decal. We decided to free hand it because all of the little imperfections will make it more personal and filled with love :)
My loving husband started by doing all the taping. He's like a professional now and can tape a whole room in about 20 minutes!
We started painting the gray color on Friday at about 5:30, and by 7:15 we are officially done with the first coat. We rested up and on Saturday, as I drew the details, Luke worked on all of the touch ups. I was extremely nervous to draw on the tree, because- let's be honest, I definitely don't consider myself an artist by any means. However, I read that the best way to tackle a mural, is to draw it on first with chalk, and then paint over it. So that's exactly what I did. I used the decal in the pic above as a visual reference, but basically what you're seeing is all us.
Saturday basically consisted of the tree, and our crawl space hole is actually covered by a big square of wall. I had the idea to use chalkboard spray paint on that and make it a big chalk board. It turned out great!
The flowers and leaves were Sunday's project. What do you think?
We also snagged these awesome cubby storage bins from Home Depot: A home owner's favorite store!
So- I'd say we made quite a bit of progress this weekend. There is obviously a lot left to do, but painting was the first thing we needed to accomplish. It already feels so much like a baby nursery in there already and I'm convinced that Baby Harvey is going to feel right at home.

7 comments:

  1. That is adorable & beautiful. It's even more special that it came from your minds & wasn't just a decal to slap on the wall. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I canot wait to see when it is all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whit it turned out great! You did an awesome job. Can't wait to meet your little girl!!! So.happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babies on HGTV are jealous of this room--that's how awesome it is! Way to be awesome parents, Whit and Luke!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say AWESOME!!!! That's a great tree!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great so far! I can't believe you guys freehanded that tree! :)

    ReplyDelete