Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My birth plan


Whitney Harvey’s Birth Plan
Name: Whitney Harvey                                               Attendant: Luke (Husband)
Amenities
I’d like: to bring music, dim the lights, take pictures and video during labor.
Hospital Admission and Procedures
I’d like: the option of returning home if I’m not in active labor.
Once admitted, I’d like: my partner to be allowed to stay with me at all times; I will allow any residents in training to be present during my labor; to eat if I wish to; to stay hydrated by drinking clear fluids instead of having an IV; to walk and move around as I choose.
Other Interventions
As long as the baby and I are fine, I’d like: to have intermittent rather than continuous electronic fetal monitoring; have as few vaginal exams as possible; have as few interruptions as possible; be allowed to progress free of time limits and have my labor augmented only if necessary.
Labor Props
If available, I’d like to try: a squatting bar, the whirlpool tub, an exercise ball
Labor Augmentation
I’d like labor augmentation: performed only if baby is in distress; first attempted by natural methods, such as nipple stimulation; membrane stripping performed before pitocin is administered.
Pain Relief
I’d like to try the following pain-management techniques: bath/shower; self-hypnosis; massage.
Please don’t offer me pain medication. I’ll request it if I need it.
If I decide I want pain medicine, I’d prefer: trying systemic medication before an epidural.
I would like the option of sterile water injections if back labor is present
Pushing
When it’s time to push, I’d like to: do so instinctively; be allowed to progress free of time limits as long as baby and I are fine; avoid forceps or vacuum extraction if possible.
I’d like to try the following positions for pushing and birth: semi-reclining; squatting; hands and knees; whatever feels right at the time.
Vaginal Birth
During delivery, I’d like: the room to be as calm quiet as possible; avoid an episiotomy if at all possible.
After birth, I’d like: to hold my baby right away, putting off any procedures that aren’t urgent; to breastfeed as soon as possible; my partner to be given the option to cut the umbilical cord.
C-Section
If I have a c-section, I’d like: my partner present at all times during the operation; to stay conscious; my hands left free if possible; the baby to be put on my chest as soon as she’s dried, if possible; the baby to be given to my partner as soon as she’s dried, if I can’t hold her and if it’s possible; my partner to accompany the baby at all times if possible; to breastfeed my baby in the recovery room.
Cord Blood Banking
I’d like to: donate cord blood to a public bank, if possible.
Postpartum
After delivery, I’d like: all newborn procedures to take place in my presence if possible; if not possible to take place in my presence, all newborn procedures to take place in my partner’s presence, if possible; my partner to stay with the baby at all times if I can’t be there; to be able to have my partner room-in at all times.
I’d like: 24-hour rooming-in with my baby.
If baby is not well, I’d like: my partner or I to accompany the baby to the NICU or other facility; to breastfeed or provide pumped breastmilk; to hold her whenever possible.
Feeding Issues
I plan to: breastfeed exclusively.
Please do not offer my baby: formula, sugar water, a pacifier unless there is a medical reason.
Discharge

I’d like to: be discharged from the hospital with my baby as soon as possible.

2 comments:

  1. I think we used the same template for our birth plan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! This is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG...I need to get going on ours!

    ReplyDelete