Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Preparing for Labor & My birth plan

Well, I'm officially 30 weeks pregnant! 10 weeks to go!
Note the intense increase in the size of my belly since my last belly update:
The baby now measures almost 16 inches long, and should weigh around 3 pounds (which is why my back has been so strained and painful). This is hard work!

Luke and I also had our most intense and most important prenatal class last weekend: Preparing for Labor and Delivery at the Amma Maternity headquarters in Edina.

The class was 8 hours and was packed full of information including what to expect your body to go through, the anatomy of child birth, options for birthing, birth plans, and coping techniques for both Luke and I. We played some games, had group discussions, contributed in demonstrations, and practiced some of the different techniques we learned. Luke learned how to "coach" me through a contraction, what to do if back labor occurs, and what coping techniques I like and will like, as well as, how to encourage and support me throughout the labor. I will admit, it is kind of scary; seeing the skeleton pelvis that she kept holding up and the fake baby that she kept cramming in there kind of brought me to the realization, "this has got to come out somehow." We talked about our birth plans, and what we want and don't want. For the most part, Luke and I have communicated everything and are on the same page with things. We are definitely going for a drug-free labor. Call me crazy if you want, but my mom did it twice and had very good healthy labors, and I have no doubt that its not completely do-able. Also, it is so much better for the baby; the baby is more alert when they are born, and can immediately begin bonding with mom :) Not to mention, there are a number of side-effects associated with the different drugs, the risk of decreased heart rate and breathing in the baby, which can require additional drugs to be administered after birth. Its definitely a pain that no one can describe in words, but that is my goal so far- DON'T try to talk me out of it (all you mom's who've had drugs)!

Also I have to share this cartoon that I got off of Baby Center

 

2 comments:

  1. You go girl.....I had all of my biological girls w/o any drugs. I guess I didn't have any drugs w/Ella or Dominic either! LOL

    You look great! Blessings to the 3 of you!

    Your Work Mom, Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE you and your baby belly! :-) You are ADORABLE and I am excited to celebrate you & your little one tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete