Saturday, March 10, 2012

Breast feeding, Pictures, and life at 34 weeks preggers!


Breast feeding


Phew! A lot has happened since my last blog post. As you can tell by the title of the post, we had our last, but not least informative baby class through Amma Maternity all about the beauty and benefits of breast feeding. Luke accompanied me to the class, and I was glad because we were skeptical to have him come, but there ended up being about 10 other spouses with us. The class was 2 1/2 hours packed with information about all of the how-to's, whens, and wheres of breast feeding your baby. They started off the course by congratulating everyone in the course for choosing to breast feed their baby, because unbeknownst to me, there are a TON of benefits to doing this. We learned that a mother's breast milk is the perfect concoction of nutrients to not only feed baby, but also maintain the pH level in the GI system and can protect from a number of different illnesses. Some including:

  • Athsma
  • Appendicitis
  • Bacterial infections
  • Celiac disease
  • Childhood cancers
  • Colitis
  • Crohn's disease
  • Type 1 Diabetes
  • Dental cavities
  • GI reflux
  • Inguinal hernias
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
  • MS
  • Ear infections
  • Respiratory tract illnesses
  • Liver disease
  • UTIs
  • S.I.D.S
Not only is this great, but breast feeding your baby can also help with bonding, mother's weight loss, is natural, convenient, and free!

After the class I was really confident that this is something I can do. I know it will be challenging when I go back to work, but it's best for the baby and for me!

Pictures

This morning, bright and early, Luke and I had a maternity photo shoot with one of wonderfully talented wedding photographers. She was offering a March special for a 45 minute session for $60. She took over 600 pictures in that amount of time and will end up narrowing it down to 25 pics, that we will eventually have rights to on a disc. We should get them back within about 2 weeks. There was a lot of kissing the belly, holding the belly to accentuate how large it is, hugs, kisses, and smiles. Lindsay did an amazing job making us feel comfortable and helping us "act natural"  act as natural as we could while being photographed. Can't wait to see the pics and share them with all of you!

34 weeks pregnant!


Went with a bare belly pic this week. I'm feeling a little risque, haha a.k.a. Luke told me it was appropriate. 

I had my 34 week appointment last week. I was kind of disappointed because they didn't do any "checking" of anything, but they measured my belly- I'm measuring right on; they weighed me- I was up 1 lb from 2 weeks ago. I guess my weight gain has been good. I have a feeling that since my appetite has become larger than life, I will be gaining at an exponential rate (making up for lost lbs). We I forgot the Birth Plan on the counter so unfortunately we couldn't go over that with our midwife, but I signed the consent to do a waterbirth, so if I end up feeling comfortable in there, we may give it a go! We got to hear a big, strong heart beat, and the baby is still head down! The midwife did also say that the baby is really tucked up in my rib cage, which- yeah! I could have told you that! Her butt literally rests on the edge of my ribs and I can feel them being stretched out like a wish bone being ready to crack. There are times where I'll have to push down because it hurts, and I'm usually answered back with some kicks. This baby is stubborn like her mom, already! Kicks have become SO powerful and SO frequent that I am just amazed.  I got a lot of positive feedback from people about the belly video of baby kicking so I decided to post another!



Things are progressing. Did a ton of organizing, cleaning, and re-arranging in the nursery this past week. We also got the hospital bag almost fully packed, so whenever baby decides to grace us with her presents, we are ready!

5 weeks and counting!



No comments:

Post a Comment