Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dear Baby,

So I have been thinking recently about writing a letter to the baby in my tummy. I know, I know- It sounds kind of weird at first, right? But how amazing would it be to look back on my experiences so far and read the letter to my child at different milestones in her life; graduation, marriage, and maybe some day when she has her own children. I have had many sleepless nights, insomnia and it has really made me think about how cool it would be to do this. So- I'm giving it a shot. If its dumb, I mean- there's always a delete button, right!? Here goes. . . 

Dear baby to be,

Here I sit, 8 months pregnant thinking about how there are so many things I want to tell you. In 6 short weeks (maybe more, hopefully less) you will enter this world. I want to start off by explaining my journey thus far. It has been amazing- pregnancy-and I hope one day you can experience it like I have. It begins with just a thought about one day having a baby, grows into little flutters in your tummy, and turns into what I feel now; rolls, punches and kicks, which only heighten my anticipation to meet you. 

There are so many things we think about- your dad and I. What will you BE like? We have hypothesized about who you will look like. Will you have my curly hair and big brown eyes? My short stature? Or will you be a toe head like your dad was when he was a baby, and tall and slender like the rest of the Harvey clan? Will you be a perfect combination of the both of us, so when we look at you, we argue about who you look like more? No matter who you resemble, I have no doubt that you will be the most beautiful baby in the world. We wonder what kind of passions you will have: Will you be into the arts? Play sports? Whatever you choose, I hope that it makes you happy. Your dad and I have talked about what your personality will be like. How can we ensure you grow to be kind, giving, thoughtful, selfless, and caring? Appreciate peoples differences, and love unconditionally? This is our first time around- so please be patient with us. We promise to be patient with you, too.

I want to let you know that you are so special and I love you so much already. Its unbelievable- indescribable actually. We haven't even met you yet, but yet I know that the minute you enter this world, my life is going to change forever. In such an incredible way. All of these sleepless nights spent hypothesizing about whether or not I will be a good parent are coming to an end. In a month & 1/2, we will be put to the test. I hope that by the time you are old enough to appreciate this letter I have served you well and have been a mother that you can admire and aspire to be like. 

Baby, I think I am ready to meet you now. I am growing more and more tired. My back hurts, I waddle like a duck, and it looks like I swallowed a basketball. You're getting so big and so strong that sometimes it feels like you're going to kick right out of my belly. Your dad and I are here whenever you feel ready to grace us with your presence. For now, I will just love you unconditionally inside my belly. 

See you soon,

Mom


1 comment: