Tuesday, April 3, 2012

In the home stretch

Phew, ok.
So- I can't believe I'm saying this but, we are on to Week 38.



I read in one of my groups on BabyCenter that about 13% of women have their babies at 38 weeks. Ugh! That percentage does NOT seem high enough for my liking. It's weird to think about people who haven't made it this far in their pregnancy. I keep venting to one of my other pregnant friends and she merely replies, "I don't really know how you're feeling, I never made it that far" She delivered at 35 weeks. Crazy! Its also crazy to think that if my midwife allows me to go 2 weeks passed my due date, I could be pregnant for another month. That is what terrifies me!

Emotions
Right now I'm experiencing a flood of emotions (I assume this is normal). Not only am I experiencing the pregnancy hormones (which cause the occasional cry for no reason), but the nervousness, the fear, and the anger about not knowing when this is going to happen. Its miraculous to think that at ANY moment our life will change forever. We will have to transition from our duo, to a full-on family. Luke and I are going to be responsible for a tiny, little life, and have to shape this person into a respectful and beautiful bigger person. Good lord I hope I don't fail.

Not only is there fear in that, but also- LABOR. I know it is an indescribable experience and I just hope to goodness I can handle it. I need to quit reading about horror stories, and just trust that my experience will be nothing more than I can handle.

Appointments
I've obviously transitioned to weekly doctors appointments and so far, so good. It seems as though I'm progressing and my body is preparing itself for labor. Its a miracle what the body can do without me even having to tell it to. The baby has definitely dropped, which in turn means, PRESSURE. Pressure that I can't even explain. More trips to the bathroom, and more motivation required to engage in physical activity, 'cause I'm just plain uncomfortable!

Good husband
Luke has been so amazing through all of this.  Its been such a roller coaster of a journey. Some days I'm great, and some days I'm just a mess. Yesterday he consoled me as I cried because I had a bad day, came home and the cat scratched me on accident (apparently that was the last straw). If I ask to go on a walk, he doesn't even hesitate, he will drop what he's doing and go on a walk with me. He's been more willing to do chores, and help prepare for the delivery, rub my feet, paint my toe nails, and just be next to me when I'm too tired to do anything. He is also wonderful just because- well, he's him. He tells me on a daily basis how excited he is to meet our baby and that makes me even more excited. I see his brother, who is an amazing father, his sister, who seriously deserves a best mommy award, and his parents, who are so good with kids, I have no doubt in my mind that it is in his genes. We have such a strong support system- family and friends that have offered to help us in any way I am feeling truly blessed.

Hopefully my next post will include pics of baby Harvey! Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment