Thursday, October 27, 2011

It's all in a name

Okay so, is it just us, or are their other couples who seem to be on completely different pages when it comes to choosing baby names. I've started to think it's never too early to start thinking about names, because, honestly, selecting a name is probably one of the only things my husband and I just can't seem to agree on. There are about 2 boy names I like, and 1 girl name I used to love, but am now so-so on. And Luke likes approximately 1 name, which also happens to be the name of this weirdy kid I had in my college English class. Eliminating names by association is probably the easiest way to remove names from your list, but what happens when youd don't have a list?

My mom was nice enough to get us a book of over 100,000 of the "best" baby names (Entitled The Complete Book of Baby Names), and boy does it have a lot of names in it! It will take me a year just to get through the thing! I will admit that in the time I have taken to look through the book, I have gotten some pretty cute ideas, though. I know, I know- you might be saying, It seems miniscule, but choosing a name is like choosing an identity for our child; he or she will have this for the rest of his/her life.

Here's a list of criteria we have so far

1. Easy to pronounce
2. Easy to read
2. Looks good on a resume (thinking far into the future)
3. Yields a good response from the people we tell
4. Doesn't remind us of some weirdy we've previously met

Easy enough, right? Wrong. Anyone have any tips as to how they chose a name?

1 comment:

  1. My suggestion is make a list and keep adding to it, but never erase anything. Not even the most unique or seemingly troubling names. Oh, and to hell with what other people think! You like it, go with it! Johhny Awesome!

    ReplyDelete